The Autistic Self-Advocacy Network (ASAN) has an annual gala to fundraise and highlight activists and notable advancements in disability rights.
This year, the event is virtual and therefore accessible to the broader community. Those who may not have been able to travel for prior annual galas can now fully participate.
In fact, in the spirit of accessibility, the cost of registration is left open to participants, so that those who may not be able to afford the event can still attend and others can choose their contribution amount based on their ability to give.
All events will be live captioned, too, for those with hearing impairment or auditory processing issues.
Thursday, November 12- Sunday, November 15
Schedule of events and roster as posted on ASAN’s page:
Schedule of Events:
All event times are in Eastern Standard Time (EST)
Thursday, November 12
- 4:00pm – Celebration of Self Advocacy Twitter Chat
- 6:00pm – Opening Ceremony
Friday, November 13th
- 5:00 to 6:30pm -Transition to Adulthood Panel
- 7pm – Film Screening
Saturday, November 14th
- 3pm – Animal Crossing Island Tour, showcasing the Animal Crossing islands of ASAN staff
- 4pm – Self Care and Community Care during Covid Twitter Chat
- 5:30 to 7pm – “Ask a Non-Autistic Person” Panel
- 7pm – Autism Campus Inclusion short video featuring interviews with alumni, and remarks from Executive Director Julia Bascom
Sunday, November 15th
- 2pm – #StopTheShock Remarks, thanking Survivors & Advocates
- 3pm to 4:30pm – LGBTQ+ Rights & Neurodiversity Panel
- 5 to 6:30pm – Racial Justice & Neurodiversity Panel
- 7pm – Closing Ceremony
Register in advance:
Even if you’re unable to make a donation, ASAN is asking that anyone who is planning to attend register in advance so that they can ensure everyone receives email about how to attend each event.
Register for the ASAN Gala here.
- Event: N is for Neurodivergent: The Parables of the X-Men with Tré Ventour-Griffiths - January 24, 2023
- Livestreaming Tuesday, January 3 with Stacia Langley, Max Benson’s Mother - December 28, 2022
- Questions for Glenda Crookes and Nathan Blenkush from Judge Rotenberg Center Regarding Electroshock Torture - July 14, 2022